the only touring binding you can adjust to your skiing style and snow conditions
For years the 22designs HammerHead was the hallmark of telemark bindings. The Axl provides all the power of the old HammerHead while adding the additional advantage of effortless touring. An easy-to-find switch, located just forward of the toe, unlocks an impressive 45 degree range of motion. At the heel, an easy to engage spring-loaded climbing peg flattens out uphill skin tracks. This climbing bar is available in three sizes, but only one can be mounted to the heel at a time. A crampon is available for the steepest climbs.
You can have it all! Downhill Performance is in no way compromised by Touring Performance with this binding. A beefy 6-hole mounting pattern virtually guarantees that there will be no pull-outs despite the relatively stiff springs. Three easily adjustable cable guide positions change how active the bindings feel. However, each of the three positions is relatively stiff; in the least active position the Axl provides similar tension to Black Diamond 01 bindings with rid stiff cartridges. Paired with a 4 buckle boot, the Axl delivers enough control and confidence for any terrain.
Features & Benefits • The first free-pivot binding with three cable guide positions. Optimize your bindings for your skiing style and snow conditions.
• Super durable: 2000 lb test cable attachments won't break, toe piece forces transmitted steel-to-steel.
• Over 2" of spring travel for smooth action and durability.
• The spring-loaded HammerHeel is the easiest to use climbing bar available; Flip it up or down with your ski pole. Climbing bails available in 3 sizes, standard bail included.
• Cables routed underfoot for maximum control; plastic boots flex at the bellows instead of tip-toeing.
• Ultra-secure mounting pattern.
• Riser height: 1.1" or 28mm at rear, with a 2 degree ramp.
• Pivot location: directly under pin-line.
• Weight: 4.0 lbs per large pair, 3.8 lbs for small.
• Size Small for Mondo 25 and under, Large for 25.5 and up.
• 2 Year Warranty.
• Made in the USA.